Saturday, March 10, 2012

Treats for Hard-working Sermonators! Sugar Cream Cake and Pie

(If you're looking for my sermon for Mach 11, go back one post.)

I frequent a on-line preaching party at RevGalsBlogPals.  During tonight's conversation, I mentioned we were making bars for tomorrow's youth spaghetti supper.  So, since you asked, here is the recipie for the oh-so-yummy sugar cream bars.

Sugar Cream Cake (we call them 'bars' here in South Dakota) are based on Sugar Cream Pie. If you've never heard of it, that's because as far as I can tell, it's a Hoosier treat.  Outside of Indiana, I understand there is something similar in the South, but I'm not sure it's exactly the same.  So as a bonus, I've included the sugar cream cake recipie from the Dutch Mill - a restaurant in my home town of Bluffton, Indiana that made the very best sugar cream cake (Wick's Frozen - eat your heart out!).

 
Sugar Cream Cake

18 oz yellow cake mix
½ c melted butter
4 eggs
8 oz softened cream cheese
16 oz powered sugar        
1 tsp allspice
 

Heat oven to 350 degrees. 
Beat together cake mix, butter, and 2 eggs.  Pat into greased 9x13 cake pan. 
Combine cream cheese, 2 eggs and allspice, add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.  Spread over cake mixture.
 Bake 35-45 minutes. Center of cake will be moist when tested. 
Cool and top with powdered sugar.

***************

Dutch Mill Sugar Cream Pie

About This Recipe "The Dutch Mill was a restaurant in Bluffton Indiana that was famous for it's pies. It burned down about 10 years ago, but we've still got the Sugar Cream Pie recipe to recreate at home! Sugar Cream Pie is unique, sweet, dense, and creamy ...additively yummy! The recipe is easy but there can be a "little" bit of trial and error since ovens vary. Stick with it though, because the reward is well worth it!"  (I found this recipe at Jill4man on November 20, 2005.  Thanks Jill!)

Ingredients
1/2 cup brown sugar **
1/2 cup white sugar **
1/2 cup flour ( a good 1/2 cup, not level)
1 cup milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
**(I’ thought the pie wasn't sweet enough, so next time I make it I'll put in a total of 1 1/3 to 1 ½ cup sugar instead of the 1 cup total the recipie calls for.)

Directions
Beat or whisk the sugars, flour, salt and milk together until foamy.
Then fold in heavy whipping cream and vanilla.
Pour into pie shells.
Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake at 400°F for 10-15 minutes.
Turn back oven to 350°F and continue baking 20-25 minutes or until just firm.
**********

Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. I love these recipes, thanks! btw, I came over here from the RevGals... peace!

    ReplyDelete