Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fourth Sunday of Easter: The Lord is My Shepherd, I Have Life Abundant

Readings for this Sunday:  Acts4:5-12; Psalm 23; 1 John 3:16-24; John 10:10-18
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want….
He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me besides still waters.”

Sometimes it seems like the motto of America is “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.”  We live in a consumer culture, our very economy based on encouraging an ever-growing list of wants.  I shall not want?  When the media constantly is saying, “more, newer, better?”

Think of the psalmist writing in ancient Palestine.  A young man, a teen really, sitting on the hillside, thinking of how God provides for him as he provides for his sheep.  He looks at what God has given him and thinks “God provides everything I need.  I shall not want.”

He has very little compared to us.  Pre-technological, pre-industrial, just a simple shepherd, with few belongings, simple food, simple shelter.  And yet he can say, “I shall not want.

My internship congregation sent a group to Haiti the summer I started there. 
They kept a blog of their experiences.  One teen wrote, “They are so poor.  They have nothing – just a shack to live in, the clothes on their backs, little food.  And yet, they are so happy!  Their joy for life amazes me.”

The Psalmist knows, and the Haitians my young friend met know that it is not the material things of life that give us joy – although those things may bring us comfort and pleasure.  It’s knowing the love of God, the love of Christian brothers and sisters, the love of family and friends that brings joy. 

The Lord is my Shepherd – the God of abundance knows me and loves me and calls me and cares for me.  What more do I need?

Hear the voice of the Shepherd: “I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.  "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”


“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want….
He restores my soul. He leads me in the right paths for his name’s sake.”

I wondered, what does it mean to “restore” someone’s soul?   So I looked at the Hebrew.  Turns out the word we translate “restore” means “to turn around, turn back, convert” – and I immediately thought of repentance.  See the Greek word we translate “repent” means “to turn around.”  All we like sheep have gone astray, and God seeks us out wherever we are, and gently leads us back. We are restored to God, to the flock, to the green pastures.

Restored to the flock, our Shepherd leads us along right paths.  The early Christians called following Jesus the Way.  It’s the same word – “path”, “way.”  Jesus showed us the way in his life and now we follow in his path.

Hear the voice of the Shepherd: “I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.  I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”


“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want….Even though I pass through the darkest valley, I fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

This is probably the part of the psalm that makes it so popular for funerals.  Valley of the shadow of death, valley of death, darkest valley – we interpret this to mean we should have no fear when we die, because God is with us.

But that really limits what the psalmist is saying here.  It’s the valley of the “death-like shadow,” of “deep darkness.”  We go through these valleys all the time – certainly when we die or a loved one dies, but also when we lose a job, or a relationship, or realize a cherished goal will never happen, or are sick, or have financial problems, or relationship problems or any time trouble or tragedy strikes.

We tremble at the darkness and shudder at the evil around us.  But then we remember the Shepherd is leading us even in this dark place.  His presence gives us comfort and strength, and hope.

Note that the psalmist has turned from addressing God in the third person: “The Lord is my shepherd,” “he leads.”  The language becomes much more personal here.  God is addressed directly:  “you are with me,” “your rod and staff.”   There is something about walking in the valley that brings us closer to our Shepherd.  We hear the voice of the shepherd more clearly in the valley and we grow to trust him more.   

Hear the voice of your Shepherd: “I came that you may have life, and have it abundantly.  I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

“Lord, you are my shepherd, I shall not want….You prepare at table before me in the presence of my enemies, you anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows.”

The best way to wage war against a walled city was to set siege to it.  The city would ultimately surrender once it ran out of food and water.  Another popular battle tactic was to burn fields, commandeer or slaughter livestock, raid granaries.  An army passing through enemy countryside would leave no provisions for the inhabitants – nothing to eat and nothing to send to the defending army. 

Here, precisely in the time when one would expect to carefully ration provisions in expectation of the coming scarcity, God does the opposite:  a feast is prepared, the table is set and, although under siege from enemies, you are invited to recline and eat your fill. 

Anointing someone’s head was done for a variety of reasons:  to commission a king or a prophet or priest, to convey welcome and hospitality for visitors, as part of healing, and as personal care.  God welcomes us, marks us for divine purpose, heals our ills, cares for us.

The overflowing cup points to even more abundance:  superabundance, to be given so much that it cannot be contained.  So much that there is more than enough to share.

Hear the voice of your Shepherd: “I came that you may have life, and have it abundantly.  I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep.”

“Lord, you are my shepherd, I shall not want….
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.”

This is not goodness as in being good or moral.  This is goodness as in good things that promote wholeness, bring completeness, provide satisfaction and enhance welfare, - in other words that which brings shalom.  Mercy, God’s everlasting love, grace, faithfulness are all wrapped up in the Hebrew word hesed.  This is what is following you.

God’s goodness and everlasting love are not just following, not just ambling along behind – no, they are following with the intent to catch up, pursuing.  I like to talk about the grace of God – goodness and God’s everlasting love and mercy – constantly pursuing, constantly enticing us.  I love the image of God as Lover of our souls courting us, bringing us back into relationship.  God’s love and grace follows us, catches us, and returns us to our true home, which we discover is the place where God dwells. 

Hear the voice of your Shepherd: “I came that you may have life, and have it abundantly.  I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”


Psalm 23, which we so often read at funerals, is a psalm of life.  It promises the care of the Good Shepherd throughout all life’s ups and downs.  This psalm bursts with God’s love and paints a picture of what life abundant is like. 


You are my shepherd Lord, in you I have all that I need

 Hear the voice of your Shepherd: “I am the good shepherd. I have laid down my life for you and I have taken it up again for you.  I came that you may have life, and have it abundantly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment